Resident | Domicile

If you are looking for advice on tax on foreign income and need to know about your domicile and resident status, call our office or book an appointment or email us your enquiry.

Get Professional Help for Your Business

Do Not Pay Tax Twice On Foreign Income


If you are domiciled and resident in the United Kingdom, you must pay income tax and capital gains tax on your worldwide income and gains. There is no exception to it. But for most individuals, matters become complicated when they have different scenarios, and guidance on the HMRC website about Tax on foreign income is unable to give a definite answer. Read our FAQ for UK tax on a different type of foreign income.

From a broad perspective, if you live in the UK, you are an ordinary resident for tax purposes and should pay tax on UK income. If you are born in the UK or a British National or have migrated and will make the UK your permanent home, you are domiciled in the UK and should pay tax on worldwide income. Even if you are not British National but have lived in the UK for at least 15 of the 20 tax years, you are deemed domiciled in the UK and have to pay tax on all foreign income and gains in the United Kingdom. This is just a general snapshot; please call our office for specific advice.

Abuot Us Tax Accountant

Who We Are ?

We Are Professional Accountants, Tax Advisors and Business Consultants

Our team consists of highly qualified accountants, Ex HMRC Tax Inspectors and industry known business consultants

Choose the best Tax Accountants

If you are self-employed or have a small business, let our team of best tax accountants take care of your accounting and tax compliance 


We are here to help you with any questions you may have

When you are working abroad, it is highly likely that you will become a non-resident in the UK for tax purposes. There is a Statutory Residence Test (SRT) that will determine your residence status. You should be aware of two things. You can be domicile and non-resident in the UK. This happens when you have a permanent home in the UK, but you did not live in the UK for more than 183 days in a tax year. In which case you will be non-resident for tax purposes in the UK and you should pay tax only on UK income.

If you are resident in the UK and working abroad, you should consult a double tax treaty between the country where you are employed and the UK. Double taxation agreements complement and usually override domestic law. You may be resident in the UK for tax purposes but your foreign income from salary may not be taxable in the UK. And if you are employed in the UK and have foreign income as salary from other countries, you may be entitled to ‘foreign workers’ exemption. You can send us an email to look at your case.

If you are self-employed and living in another country, you should be careful while determining your residence status. HMRC guidance does not include any foreign income generated as self-employed. Most of the time your foreign income as self-employed becomes taxable in the UK when you are a resident or demonstrate strong ties in the UK for residence test.

It is always dependent on nature of mistake. If the amendment will result in correction of tax liability, then you must file an amended tax return. If you have omitted income and want to correct your records, you would need to file a disclosure.

Rules of resident and domicile will apply as normal if you are receiving income from overseas property. Most of the time your foreign rental income is taxable in the UK and you can claim a tax credit of any tax paid overseas.

If you have furnished holiday letting, different rules will apply. Only those properties which are in the UK or in the European Economic Area (EEA) – the EEA includes Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway and are furnished will be classed as Furnished Holiday Lets. Any rental income and gains from other property overseas will be treated as normal foreign income.

If you have overlooked and have not disclosed your income or gains to HMRC, do not panic. You still have time to put your tax affairs right. HMRC do not want to scare off taxpayers, instead, they have offered a number of tax disclosure campaigns to disclose untaxed income. You should contact us as soon as you come to know that your tax affairs are not in order and there is a discrepancy to report.

When you come to UK and become resident for tax purposes and you have foreign income from your business in other country. There are more complex rules to follow. This will include permanent establishment of business and overseas workday relief. Your foreign profits will be taxed either on remittance basis or arising basis. Apart from this, double tax agreements will play a major role to determine correct amount of tax.

Not answered above?

If you need advice regarding your personal circumstances, please call our office or book an online appointment.

What our clients say

Carry Back Trading Loss

Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) as soon as possible to complain about their service, for example if there have been mistakes or unreasonable delays.

Read More »